OXO’s Peelers – An a-peel-ing alternative
The Swivel Peeler was the first of over 800 OXO tools introduced since 1990. OXO’s founder was inspired to create a better functioning, more comfortable alternative to the traditional metal peeler after watching his wife struggle while peeling apples for a tart.
OXO’s line of peelers includes options for all kinds of preferences, including the original Swivel Peeler, a Y-Peeler, a Serrated Peeler and a Julienne Peeler.
OXO’s iconic Swivel Peeler has found a home in the permanent collections of museums all over the world, including New York City’s Museum of Modern Art. Next time, tell your friends you own a bona-fide museum piece!
- Small, uncomfortable handles hurt users’ hands during repetitive tasks and require strength to grip; Handles do not flex for comfort
- Materials used are slippery, especially when wet
- Inefficient blades with poor cutting angles and sharpness cut into edible parts of fruits and vegetables, resulting in significant waste
- During development, designers literally watched people of all ages and abilities (male & female, young & old, lefties & righties and people with special needs) interact with the product to identify precisely where on the handle users applied pressure while peeling.
- The design team explored hundreds of different handles and learned that a bicycle handle, with its large size and “grippy” material, was a very effective jumping-off point for the Swivel Peeler. Bicycle handles have to be sturdy enough to give riders a significant amount of control, a feature that was lacking in the world of kitchen tools.
- While sourcing parts for the original Swivel Peeler, designers worked with a blade manufacturer that was famous for creating Samurai swords. What better way to ensure the user would not have to expend much effort when peeling a carrot, apple or potato?
- Large handle fits comfortably in hand and elliptical shape keeps it from rotating; “Fins” on either side absorb pressure while in use.
- Durable, rubberized material provides a cushioned, non-slip grip and significant control, even when wet.
- Sharp blades are angled to remove only the minimum amount of peel necessary with little force
With the introduction of the Swivel Peeler, OXO set a new standard by creating a wonderfully effective, attractive tool that people of all ages and abilities were proud and eager to use. Consumers everywhere were taken with the “roly-poly, pudgy handles, ” changing the look of kitchens the world over.
Ever wonder what makes an OXO product an “OXO Product”?
OXO employees believe there are two rules that should guide product development: First, every new product must deliver a significant improvement over the status quo. Second, the functionality should never be sacrificed to make the product more attractive – above all it should work well.
Make sure this fitsby entering your model number.
Precision ground, extra-hardened stainless steel blade
Longer blade for better maneuvering
Blade is easily replaceable with the OXO Peeler Blade Replacement Cartridge, sold separately
Sharp eyer easily removes blemishes in one scoop
Non-slip, contoured handle for choking up or gripping farther back